We are always looking for a few more EXTRAORDINARY people to join our staff team. Our staff application portal is clickable from right here !
Current positions available (March 23, 2022):
Support Staff- should reside close to Camp, accommodation not provided for most roles
- Food Service- apply on Indeed platform please, not through application below
Summer Day Camp- must reside close to Camp, no accommodation provided
Overnight Camp- live at camp, room & board provided
- Area Head for Challenge Courses
- Area Head Swimming
- Leadership Director
- Leadership Staff
- Pathways Support Staff Counsellors
- Canoe Trippers
- Area Head Tripping
Some of our staff have grown up at Camp Couchiching, starting as campers, returning as leadership candidates and finally, if they have the right qualifications and attitude, join the staff team. Our other staff team members are recruited from throughout the world! Camp Couchiching's staff members deliver a consistent program that emphasizes camp traditions and strong personal relationships built over the course of several years. Familiar with our community, and values, it is our internally developed staff team that makes us unique, and maintains our uniqueness year after year. We have very child-focused counselors/instructors.
As minimum standard qualifications, all staff, except for interns, must be turning 18 years of age in the calendar year and must hold current First Aid, CPR. Many of our staff team also have their NLS for lifeguarding. Staff go through police record check screenings as required by the Ontario Camps Association.
Each summer, we try to hire a compliment of international staff members to round out our team and to add a uniqueness to our inclusive community. Pease see our Accessible Employment Policies below on this webpage.
Our staff team works under the supervision of our qualified Director Team. Learn more about these folks by clicking here.
In surveys, parents identify that good quality and well trained staff are the most important reason why they choose Camp Couchiching. We keep this in mind as we hire, train and coach our staff team.
Here are the teams we have within Camp and some roles belong to multiple teams:
- The Mentorship Team: Program Director(s), Leadership Director, Counselling Manager(s), Wellness Director, Day Camp Director
- The Leadership Team: Staff working with our LDP 1, LDP2 & our Internship programs. See this link for more details on these programs.
- The Program Team: Specialty Area Heads (Pottery, Land, Waterfront, Wind, Adventure, Paddle & Tripping) + The Program Directors
- The Counselling Team: Interns and Counsellors working with cabin/day camp groups or campers with specialized needs through our Pathways Program
- The Program & Service Team: Staff rotate through a 2-week block of being on a Program & Service Placement. These team members help us with support tasks at camp including kitchen prep, dishes, garbage/recycling and cleaning/disinfecting. People don't apply for this position, we rotate our staff born in 2005 & 2004 through these placements.
- The Day Camp Team: Staff rotate through a 1 or 2-week placement of working on day camp. We do hire a Day Camp Coordinator however.
- The Intern Team: Our first year staff team, those born in 2005, have special mentors for support as they work on some leadership programming and gain qualifications while they also help the Camp as a full staff team member. During their internship, they gain Secondary School voluntary hours plus a Co-op Credit too (based on contracts of 6 weeks or longer).
Accessible Employment Policies
Recruitment and Potential Employment Screening Process
- Camp Couchiching will provide notification to the public that in its recruitment process, accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. Camp Couchiching is committed to employment equity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. If an applicant requires an accommodation at any point during the hiring/employment process they are encouraged to let the camp know that this is the case and inform the camp to the type of accommodation they require so that the camp can work with them to meet their needs. Applicants are also reassured that all responses will be handled with strict confidence.
Notice to Successful Applicants
- When making offers of employment to the successful applicants, Camp Couchiching will notify the applicant of its policies of accommodating employees with disabilities. The information that accompanies the contract indicates the following: "Camp Couchiching has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability and/or a medical need please contact Camp Couchiching at 705-325-3428 or email@example.com so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodations."
Informing Employees of Supports
- Camp Couchiching will inform its employees of its policies (and any updates to those policies) used to support those with disabilities, including policies on the provision of job accommodations that take into account employee accessibility needs due to a disability. This information will be provided to new employees as soon as practicable after they commence employment.
- Camp Couchiching has a return to work process for its employees who have been absent from work due to a disability and who require disability-related accommodations in order to return to work. The return to work process outlines the steps Camp Couchiching will take to facilitate the return to work and will include documented individual accommodation plans as part of the process in accordance with the requirements of the Regulation.
- Where an employee with a disability (permanent or temporary) requests it, Camp Couchiching will consult with the employee to provide accessible formats and communication supports for: information that is needed to perform the employee’s job and information that is generally available to all of our employees.
- If needed, Camp Couchiching will provide individualized workplace emergency response information to employees with disabilities.
- Camp Couchiching is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free experience to applicants with accessibility needs. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage during the recruitment, hiring, or onboarding processes. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
LastUpdate: 2022-03-23 17:39:07